Interested in changing the look of your kitchen or bath, but not ready for a long-term commitment? Peel and stick tile may be a perfect choice. Installing tile is best left to the professionals and involves a significant investment of time and money. Using tile stickers rather than traditional tile allows you to revamp your home's look in an afternoon.
What do you need to know before you get started?
What is Peel and Stick Tile?
Don't let the name fool you. Although peel and stick tiles are affordable and do not need to be a permanent solution, they are extremely long-lasting and durable. They are easy to install without help and don't require the curing time of traditional tile.
Exactly how long can you expect these tile tattoos to last?
The exact lifespan of peel and stick tile depends on several factors, such as where it is installed and how heavily the area is used. In general, plan to get at least five years from tile installed in an area that gets heavy use, and up to 25 years in an area that is more lightly used.
Kitchen tile, used as a backsplash, is wiped more frequently, so it will need to be replaced more often than, for example, bathroom tile installed in a guest bath.
There are a few ways you can extend the life of peel and stick tile.
- Take care during the installation process. Use a degreaser to clean and level any uneven spots before you install the tile.
- Use a straight edge, such as a ruler, and pencil to mark your tile before making any cuts.
- Lay out your placement before removing the adhesive backing. This means making cuts around windows, outlets, or any other spots before peeling back the protective paper. A sharp utility knife gives the cleanest possible cuts.
- Create a finished look by sealing any gaps on corners and around windows with a thin bead of caulk. Not necessary for proper installation, but polishes off the look.
- Wipe up any messes immediately. Sure, you can scrub dried-on spaghetti sauce splatter from your peel and stick tile, but it creates unnecessary wear. Instead, wipe down messes while they are fresh.
Is Peel and Stick Tile the Right Choice?
If you are ready to update the look of your home, peel and stick tile can be a great choice. The quick and easy installation allows you to experiment with a trendy look you may avoid with more long-term options. You can complete the entire process yourself, over a few hours, without breaking your budget.
Whether you are ready to update your kitchen or bathroom tile, Stick Pretty has a perfect choice. With a range of colors and designs, you can be conservative in your update or make a bolder choice. For more information on peel and stick tiles or to get started on your project, get in touch today.
If you prefer the latter option, our StickPretty team would love to help you transform your windows with customized window film. Contact us today.